The concept of short-form video content on social media is nothing new. Remember Vine – the app where users could share looping video clips lasting only six seconds? That was launched in 2013 – over ten years ago.
But in recent years, short-form video content has exploded in popularity, and it’s not hard to see why. Platforms such as TikTok, Instagram Reels, and Snapchat have all contributed to the rise of this engaging and addictive format.
In fact, it’s estimated by Cisco that in 2022, 82% of internet traffic came from video content.
One of the main reasons behind this increase is that short-form video content offers various ways to encourage participation and community building among both creators and viewers.
Plus, the video creation and editing tools provided in social media apps nowadays make this much quicker and easier than ever before.
In this article, we’ll explore the reasons behind the rise of short-form video content, its implications for your social media marketing strategy, and how to create the best short-form video content for your brand.
The Rise of Short-Form Video Content
We can trace the rise of short-form video content in recent years back to the launch of Vine.
Vine’s success demonstrated the demand for bite-sized video content and paved the way for the emergence of other short-form video platforms such as Instagram Reels, Snapchat, and TikTok
Today, TikTok dominates the short-form video space, with over one billion active users worldwide.
TikTok’s success has also spurred other social media platforms to launch their own features, such as Instagram Reels, Facebook Reels, Snapchat Spotlight and YouTube Shorts.
One of the biggest trends in user behaviour that has driven the growth of short-form video is how audiences are now seeking relatable content that can quickly entertain or distract them, without actively searching for it.
Platforms have adapted to this need. Their algorithms deliver personalised content that matches different audiences’ expectations and demographics. This is based on data gathered about individuals’ interests and behaviours.
Through advanced algorithms and machine learning, each viewer receives a curated feed of personalised content. This feed is constantly updated based on their engagement or lack thereof, which makes the overall experience more relevant and enjoyable for the viewer.
Implications for Social Media Marketing Strategies
The rise of short-form video content has significant implications for social media marketing strategies.
Firstly, it has subverted the traditional video content that marketers used to focus on, which consisted of long-form videos for platforms such as YouTube.
Short-form video content requires a different approach. Brands need to focus on creating content that is engaging, concise, and visually appealing.
Secondly, the success of short-form video platforms has demonstrated the importance of building a strong social media presence.
Brands that can create compelling content build an engaged following more quickly. This can ultimately boost brand awareness, drive traffic to their website, and increase sales.
In a way, you could say that short-form video content provides a much better social media ROI than traditional content.
It’s also important for brands to note that social media users are turning to short-form video content for entertainment and escape.
In terms of marketing strategies, that means brands need to focus on creating engaging content that resonates with their audience, rather than being overly promotional.
With the rise of personalised and curated content feeds, it’s more important than ever for brands to stand out with compelling, relatable, and entertaining content.
How to Create the Best Short-Form Video Content for Your Brand
Creating the best short-form video content for your brand requires careful planning and execution. Have some tips to help you get started:
- Keep it short and sweet. The general consensus is that short-form video content should be no longer than 60 seconds. It’s best to be concise and focussed: the best content will grab users’ attention in the first couple of seconds.
- Be creative! The very format of short-form video content itself fosters creativity. The editing tools in apps like TikTok and Instagram make it easy to try different styles. It’s so easy, in fact, that in 2018, 55% of TikTok users had uploaded a video in the past month.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment. This goes hand-in-hand with creativity. Now that short-form videos can be produced quicker and faster than before, this invites users to experiment with new concepts and refine their content faster. This also allows for faster adaptation to emerging trends, which can be critical for success.
- Focus on visual storytelling. Visuals are key in short-form video content. Use eye-catching visuals and creative editing techniques to tell your brand’s story and capture your audience’s attention. There are even a whole host of new features coming to Instagram Reels to experiment with.
- Use music and sound effects. Audio, when used correctly, can add depth to your video content. It could be the difference between what makes users stop scrolling, and what doesn’t. However, it’s important to ensure that any audio used is free of copyright.
In 2023, short-form video content is the key to social media success. The rise of apps like TikTok and Instagram Reels shows no sign of slowing down – especially now that people have shorter attention spans than ever.
So, brands need to incorporate this content into their marketing strategies if they want to stay relevant and engage with their audience.
Whilst trends are important, don’t feel the pressure to hop onto every single one. Not every viral meme format will align with your content strategy or brand.
It is important to focus on catering to your audience and staying relevant to them. In fact, creating something entirely new can be a great way to stand out from the crowd. Trends have to start somewhere!
So, by keeping videos short and concise, being creative with editing tools, and showcasing your brand’s personality, you can create engaging videos that connect with your audience and help you achieve your social media marketing goals.